Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Drip, Drip, Drip

It's been a while since I've written on this blog, but one of my goals for 2019 is to be more active here. With everything going on in our lives, it's easy to forget to pop over here and update. I'm going to try and do better.

So what's been going on since my last update?

Where to start...

Five years ago, my husband, Nick, quit his full time job at a custom cabinet shop. We've had our own woodworking business since 2006, but it was something he did on evening and weekends. All that changed when a friend of my husbands asked him if he'd be interested in building pet urns for a local crematory.

Yep, that's right. Wooden urns for cats and dogs.

It was a way to make a steady paycheck that would allow him to quit his job and still give him flexibility to do other jobs as well. A win win as far as both of us were concerned.

Over the last five years our business has steadily increased and we are now booking jobs six months in advance. Some days I find myself spending more time in the shop than I do in front of the computer. That was never a problem I would have foreseen when we started this journey.

My goal with this blog, however, is to share little tidbits not only about the jobs we're working on, but also stories of some of the crazy stuff I encounter in this industry.

One such event involves the roof of our shop. In May of 2018, a big storm rolled through and knocked over one of the trees in our yard. Not a big deal, except for the fact that said tree fell onto the roof of the shop. It left several holes that needed to be repaired. Unfortunately, that was easier said that done.

While we were waiting for the estimates to come in from the roofing companies, the temporary repair leaked three times. We ended up having to cover every machine in the shop in plastic just to make sure nothing else got damaged.

It ended up taking four months to find a company that would do the work since it was a forty year old metal prefab building. If that wasn't bad enough, it took another month for the materials to come in and another two weeks for the work to be scheduled.

You'd think that would be the end of it, right?

Nope. Last week, the roof started leaking in two places. I called the company and they sent a couple of guys out to fix it. I figured we were good, but Nick came in today and informed me that we had sprung two more leaks. Another set of guys is supposed to be out later this week to see about fixing these new issues. I'm crossing my fingers this will be the end of the leaks.

2 comments: